Timothy DeVinney, Freelance Health Science and Medical Editor
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org :: Tel. & Fax +44 20 7627-1084
Your publications are your most important avenue for having an impact and creating a legacy for your research and other endeavors; as a freelance editor at HealthSciEdit, I can help you ensure that your article or book reaches your readers as quickly and effectively as possible.
Before globalization, publishers helped authors and researchers prepare their work for publication at no charge (e.g., a copy editor for the publisher would spend at least 6‒10 hours on an article, or 100 hours or more on a book, until it was ready to appear in print).
But in recent years, the journal and book publishers have been bought up by large commercial businesses focusing on profits. Production and editing are now done at the lowest possible cost, by large rooms of workers with minimum qualifications,1 expected to prepare an average-length article in 2 hours and a 200-page book in no more than 25 hours.2
As an author, you can do something to protect your work from low-cost processing: If your article or book is ready to appear in print when submitted, there will be fewer delays before publication, and there is a much lower chance that mistakes will be introduced or missed in the rush to prepare it at low cost. At HealthSciEdit, I can help ensure that you avoid the worst frustrations and confusions of production at the new globalized multinational article and book publishers.
I pride myself on not making unnecessary changes to your work. As much as possible, I want to allow your voice to come through to your readers.
This depends on the level of edit you request and what your article or book needs, to be ready for publication (for a more detailed list, see the Services and Fees page on this site):
Basically, as a freelance editor, I will do three things:
1. Correct errors in grammar, punctuation, spelling, terminology, formatting (units of measurement, cross-references, reference citations), and missing or incorrectly cited parts (e.g., check that where it says, "See patient demographics in Table 2," those data really are in Table 2).
2. Point out and suggest changes for parts of the text or other aspects of the work that may confuse readers. Often, if you have been reading and rereading your work for some time, you will stop seeing what's missing. You know what you mean, so you assume the reader will too. I can help spot these gaps and make sure they are cleared up for the reader.
3. Prepare the article or book manuscript to match the style and formatting your target book publisher or journal will expect to see. If you have done this before submission, it is less work (and expense) for them when they publish your work. You also get to ensure that the "corrections" made will be those you want to make, and not some arbitrary changes made by an overworked, low-cost editing department.
If your publications are delayed, or your readers are confused by errors in your published work, then your next funding grant or professional promotion may also be delayed or even blocked. My fees for a medium edit, which is what most manuscripts need, start at only GBP 250.00 (approx. USD 330.00 or EUR 296.00) for a 20-page article, depending on the work required. Per word, that's GBP 0.05, USD 0.067, EUR 0.06 (for a more detailed list, see the Services and fees page on this site)
Send a sample to email@example.com for a free evaluation (1-page form I will complete for you, regarding the work that needs to be done) and price quote.
Turn-around times are normally 7‒14 days, depending on my availability and the work to be done.
"An island of sanity." Anne-Marie Bogdan, Staff Bibliographer, Fitzroy Dearborn, Chicago, USA
"You have been one of the most experienced and skilled copyeditors we have ever had and your contribution in improving the quality of Wichig journals has been invaluable. You have always been our point of reference in matters of style and compliance to guidelines." Francesca Tricella, Production Editor, Wichtig, Milan, Italy
Since 1999, I have edited for most of the major scientific and medical publishers, including McGraw-Hill in New York, Fitzroy Dearborn in Chicago, Springer in Heidelberg, Wichtig in Milan, Nature Research in New York, and Hogrefe in Gottingen, as well as a variety of different authors in different fields.
Send a sample to me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a free evaluation form and price quote, and I will also send you a compilation of sample edits I have done for other clients.
1. Sage India, for example, warns its low-cost production team to be prepared to face authors or journal editors whose communications become "tense or volatile in nature." Further, the qualifications they specify for a copy editor are much lower than those traditionally required by journal and book publishers. See RoatToNaukri. About Copy Editor at SAGE Publications India Private Limited. Retrieved from https://www.roadtonaukri.com/job/sage-copy-editor. Accessed November 21, 2017.
2. For production levels at Sage India, see RoatToNaukri. About Copy Editor at SAGE Publications India Private Limited. Retrieved from https://www.roadtonaukri.com/job/sage-copy-editor. Accessed November 21, 2017.
URL for this page: http://www.HeathSciEdit.com/index.html
© 2003‒2017 by Timothy DeVinney. Page last updated December 7, 2017.